Wednesday, March 11, 2009

B.A.

Buenos Dias. I arrived in Buenos Aires yesterday after an enjoyable flight that actually arrived 20 minutes early, which I am told rarely happens here. I was welcomed by an airport police dog taking a hot one on the floor next to my flight's baggage claim belt. Thankfully I avoided contact, got my bag, and got a taxi to town pretty quickly.

Buenos Aires has been very cool so far. Recoleta, the neighborhood where I am staying, is nice and there are a lot of bars and restaurants within walking distance as well as some big tourist attractions that I will check out today. Everyone at the hostel is very nice and they are from all over - Australia, New Zealand, France, Canada (Quebec), and exotic Houston. Last night I went out with the Australians and the guy from Houston and we had a good time. Had a great meal at this place near us that consisted of some empanadas, cazuela (an Argentine stew that is a local specialty), and some local beer and wine. Split four ways it cost $10/person - very cheap and delcious. Also we finished dinner after midnight and the restaurant was decently crowded which was crazy (to a gringo like me) for a Tuesday. Afterwards we went to this outdoor bar called Milion that is in an old three-story mansion that a couple friends recommended before I arrived here - was a solid spot. If it was in NYC you'd have to get a table or where pants or something lame. Chill here, and one guy there was sporting a well-crafted pair of cutoff jean shorts.

This morning I woke up early to walk to the bus station and purchase a ticket to Mendoza so I can be on time to meet my bro there this weekend. I think I did pretty well speaking Spanish on my own to the two women behind the ticket counter, though once they started asking me what part of the bus I wanted to sit in I had to enter full tourist mode and pull out my Spanish phrase book/dictionary. Oh well, I am learning.

1 comment:

  1. I hope by the time i get there you have taken to local fashion and are sporting some short jorts.

    ReplyDelete