Monday, April 27, 2009

Kilkenny and Cork

Before I left the States, a few people told me to make sure I got out of Dublin to experience the best parts of Ireland. My dad and I had a blast in Dublin, so I was pretty pumped to leave there today and drive South. After a tasty full Irish breakfast (the local cafe near our Dublin hostel had it's own version - fried egg, two sausage links, two pieces of bacon, baked beans, half of a tomato, and blood sausage), we hit the road. Kilkenny Castle

Kilkenny is a small town a little less than halfway between Dublin and Cork. Very old school little town with shop-filled streets and a medieval castle (first built in the 12th century) as the main attraction. Pops and I stopped here for about three hours, checked out the castle, walked the streets (which were dominated by local high school kids on their lunch hour), grabbed a bite at a bar and grill, then headed further south and west for Cork.
Street in Cork

Maybe it is because I love crew and many water sports, but it's hard for me not to like a city that has a river nearby. Cork is one of those cities - has a good sized river and the channel actually splits, and both parts flow by the main section of town. The town has a nice feel to it and is less touristy than Dublin. Did some sightseeing tonight and had dinner at a local bar and ended up meeting three local guys by the end of the meal. Two of them stuck around and we bar-hopped for a bit. Total wankers. Have not laughed that hard in a long time and we had a blast. First six hours in Cork have been very good ones.Dad and I with our two new friends

No comments:

Post a Comment